BER Certificates

Domestic BER Cert

Domestic BER CertsAll residential buildings, by law, now require a Building Energy Rating or BER Cert if they are being sold or rented. This give potential tenants or investors a good indication of how difficult a building will be to heat.

A BER Cert will always be accompanied by an Advisory Report outlining the ways that your property can improve it’s energy rating
All new houses also require BER ratings. As part of the BER Assessment the house is checked for Building Regulation compliance. This should be done as early as possible to ensure that energy saving techniques can be applied at the design stage.

A new building that does not comply with the building regulations may cause serious problems in the future when you try sell the house

Non Domestic BER Certs

All commercial buildings, by law, now require a Building Energy Rating if they are being sold or rented. This give potential tenants or investors a good indication of how difficult a building will be to heat.
Heating and air conditioning costs contribute significantly to a businesses overheads so it is important that a energy assessment is carried out before you commit to a lease on a commercial building.

What is a BER Cert?

A BER Cert is a Building Energy Rating for your home. It is similar to the energy rating on your electrical appliances such as fridges and dryers. It has a varying scale from A-to-G. A-rated buildings being the most energy efficient and G-rated buildings being the least energy efficient. The purpose of the BER Cert is to give an indication to prospective buyers or tenants of how much energy will be required to maintain comfort in a home.

A qualified BER assessor registered with the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland SEAI calculates how energy efficient your homes is based on your heating system, hot water, lighting, insulation levels and construction types. The information is gathered by means of a detailed survey of your home and processed using computer software approved by SEAI. The BER Cert is then issued by SEAI and is Valid for 10 years.

Who needs a BER certificate?

Since the 1st of January 2009, a BER certificate has become compulsory for all homes and commercial properties being sold or rented. A BER certificate has been compulsory for almost all new homes since 2008. The law obligates both a seller and his/her agent to provide these certificates to the prospective purchasers/tenants of all properties.

A BER Cert is required under the following circumstances:

The home owner must obtain a BER before a new home is occupied for the first time regardless of whether it is offered for sale or rent.

When a new or existing home is offered for sale or rent. The seller / renter must provide a BER to prospective buyers or tenants.
BER assessments performed on new homes also help determine compliance to Part L of the Building Regulations.

A Building Energy Rating (BER) and advisory report is to be supplied by the owner to a prospective buyer or tenant when a non-residential building is constructed, sold or rented. From 1 July 2008 a BER is required for new non-residential buildings for which planning permission is applied on/after that date. From 1 January 2009 a BER is required for existing non-residential buildings, when offered for sale or rent.


A BER Cert identifies how energy efficient a property is. This can be beneficial to a seller who has upgraded the property through the Better Energy Scheme as the BER Cert will illustrate a better rating and so it will make the property more attractive and easier to sell at the asking price. Similarly if a property is not very energy efficient the BER Cert will illustrate this, making potential buyers aware of the inefficiencies in the property.

How to improve a BER rating

The Better Energy Home Scheme offers a range of grant assisted measure you can undertake in order to improve the BER Rating in your home. The most effective measures are:

  • Upgrading Attic Insulation
  • Upgrading wall insulation
  • Upgrading your boiler and heating controls
  • Upgrading Windows

Upgrades with lesser impacts are:

  • Replacing bulbs with energy efficient light bulbs
  • Insulating your hot water tank
  • Replace the open fire with a stove

JOT Energy Consultants are the leading experts in design and consultation of building energy solutions. Contact us today to find out how we can help.